[kwlug-disc] Going out of basement sale!

Johnny Ferguson hyperflexed at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 15:01:42 EDT 2010

On 07/23/2010 10:58 AM, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 02:14:29PM -0400, Chris Irwin wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:18, Johnny Ferguson<hyperflexed at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> On that note, if you have any spare ribbon cables sitting around that you
>>> don't need (as you don't use IDE drives anymore), those can be easily
>>> recycled for electronics projects.
>>
>> I don't actually. All I have is my trusty IDE/SATA ->  USB adapter.
>
> Computer Recycling tends to have waaaaay more IDE cables than we know
> what to do with. Sadly we have gotten rid of buckets of the things.

*sadness*

If you look on Digi-key for ribbon cable (or any comparable
distributor's site), you'll find the costs to be insane. I'm surprised
hackerspaces (such as KWARTZ LAB) aren't capitalizing on this surplus.
Best of all they come with standard connectors, and the male headers for
them are cheap.

The tools and parts required to add the female connectors are also
somewhat pricey. Simply put, I will accept donations of any and all
ribbon cable. Reduce and Reuse FTW. :)

I think I'm going to have to work on an IDE shield for my Arduino. Would
save me from having to completely dismantle experiments each time I move
on to the next one. Just put the projects on protoboard with an IDE
header, plug and play.

> On request, I can bring some to the next meeting provided:
> a. I remember to do it
> b. They are used for nefarious projects
>
> - Paul

I'll likely send you an e-mail before the next meeting so you don't
forget... and start drafting up plans for killer robots utilizing
parallel connections. Cheers.

-Johnny