[kwlug-disc] Tightening up SSH

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jul 19 18:59:37 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:31 AM, John Van Ostrand <john at netdirect.ca>wrote:

> [...]

Yes, but that is a hypothetical situation, or a targeted attack
(deliberately wanting to penetrate this specific server).

A targeted attack may succeed that way, and honestly, probably no one can
prevent a targeted attack, only delay it.

But for the random scans that happen every hour on the net, the bots scan
for common exploits and that means port 22 for ssh.

Run it on another port and 99% of scans for ssh will go away. You are less
vulnerable (note: less vulnerable != more secure), but also there is less
noise in the logs, less use of disk space, and less resources used by these
attacks.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.