[kwlug-disc] OT: Roger's phone services

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Jul 19 14:19:44 EDT 2010

Let's remember that all of this complexity exists mostly in:
- VoIP installation / adaptation into current systems.
- Those current systems being of a fair size, thus having a not
insignificant PBX already in place to be accommodated.
(- sorry Paul.)

If going in new, or going in small, particularly if there's a POTS
line around for fax or whatever, there's probably more joy and
happiness, particularly given the cost savings, than not.

To John's point, managing customer expectations up front will garner
more tolerance.

Also, as mentioned, staged implementation will also provide more joy
and happiness. Keeping SIP/IP phones out of the picture initially will
help. As will only adding VoIP lines for the moment. Perhaps migrating
off POTS lines over time. And, the greatest cost savings will be
acquired in the process.

It's the phone system + sets replacement cost that bites the most,
providing the greatest investment, and conceptual hurdle, to be
overcome. (Sets not being generally compatible with anything other
than its own system.) Thus, new installations will be easier, if more
expensive, than the time and cost involved in trying to adapt, or
morph, from old to new. Of course it can be done - not likely without
some pain, all around.