[kwlug-disc] [way OT] how to de-virus someone's windows box?

Joe Wennechuk youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 09:19:37 EDT 2010

It has been my experience that a Windows box can't be de-virused. Certainly given enough time and effort it could be acomplished. It has been my experience that the time and effort, and knowledge to "Fix" a virus'd machine is not even close to equal the reward. Soultion-  Setup Windows fresh on an 20-30 gig partition in the front and then point c:/MyDocuments to d: and make an image of c: when it is all set up and al software is properly installed, and all data resides on D:. I run a virus ceck / malware ceck from time to time, and if I find something I restore the system from image 10 minutes and it's done. You have to plan on this as almost scheduled maintenance.

Joseph Wennechuk