[kwlug-disc] [way OT] how to de-virus someone's windows box?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Jul 19 08:51:22 EDT 2010

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Lori Paniak wrote:

> I'm sure a kernel developer can handle re-installing Windows!  Just
> make sure you back up whatever data the user wants to save.  If
> something goes wrong, blame the virus.

  it's not the re-install that worries me, it's that, once you sort of
offer to help someone with their system and the process is underway,
you kind of have a moral obligation to finish it and, if things don't
go well, you're stuck with salvaging it.  sort of, "you break it, you
fix it."

  so i'm willing to offer quick, superficial advice, but i just don't
want to get sucked in to a re-install and reload data and reconfigure.
i just don't like windows enough for that to be appealing.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca