[kwlug-disc] [way OT] how to de-virus someone's windows box?

Johnny Ferguson hyperflexed at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 03:50:42 EDT 2010

I think the only humane thing to do is take it out back with a shotgun
and put the poor thing out of its misery.

Alternatively, I used to swear by Avira Antivir. Viruses are nasty
though. I was hit by one that corrupted every archive file on my system.
I lost quite a lot of important stuff, and was finally pushed into using
linux.

I think the basic steps are:

1. Find out what the virus is

2. Find out what it can do

3. Salvage data accordingly

4. Get out the windows CD and get ready to spend the next hour 	clicking
buttons and installing drivers for everything.

I wish I could offer a rosier solution, but de-virusing windows is like
trying to get the ink from an exploded pen out of the dryer. You can do
so much, but there will always be a mark of some kind left behind.

-Johnny