[kwlug-disc] backups capped at 2 gigs

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jul 12 19:30:25 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Insurance Squared Inc. <
gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:

> That command worked with no error.  (I didn't see the error message
> generated by tar because it's happening late at night.)

Capture the output of tar to a file

tar .... > /logfile.txt 2>&1

This way you can see the error.

> But I'm doing it manually right now - and it's already at 15gigs.  So it's
> clearly NOT tar that's the problem.  It must be truncating after the tar
> happens.

Or it could be the user, or shell that does the backup that is limited.

Or cron runs under another user ID or shell?

> So that's narrowing it down to the mv command or the destination drive
> (once the files are zipped, I move them to another physical drive.

It would be odd for a mv to just truncate.

Again, capture the output from that command and see if there are errors.

> That gives me archives by date).  I'm guessing that the filesystem type
> (linux native) is going to be the ultimate problem here.  I'm not sure why
> that drive is mounted as type linux native.  Something auto-generated I
> expect.  We'll see soon if that's the problem.

Yeah, that is an odd file system type to have.

We know it is ext2 or ext3, because the tune2fs command worked on it.

> (sometimes the solutions just require a second set of eyes prodding at it).

Agreed.

> On 12/07/10 07:06 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/somedir/somefile bs=1048576 count=2049

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com