[kwlug-disc] backups capped at 2 gigs

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jul 12 18:14:23 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Insurance Squared Inc. <
gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:

> I've got a backup system running where I rsync my desktop over to a backup
> server then I tar it up every night.
> The tar seems to be capped at 2gigs.  Any idea on why that would be?  I
> wonder if it's not the filesystem type.  I've got two large drives in the
> backup server, one is set up as ext4 (that's where the tar is happening) and
> the other is set up as linux native.  I don't know why I set it up that way
> - could that be the problem, and what type of filesystem should I be using?

I am able to create tar archives that are 72GB in size, on a 64 bit version.
So obviously, tar can do it.

Check ulimit -a and see if you have a limit on the maximum file size. Make
sure you do it from the shell of the user that is doing the backup.