[kwlug-disc] Mobile internet

Fri Jul 2 14:00:57 EDT 2010

On Friday, July 02, 2010 01:11:06 pm Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> There is Rogers cell phone reception there (started only last summer), but
> I dare even consider a mobile internet stick. Compare that to going to the
> USA, and seeing many people with netbooks and USB sticks surfing on
> Ubuntu.

Rogers data plans aren't all that bad right now, at least in my experience.
I'm grandfathered in to the $30/mo for 6G of transfer, but if you're just
doing email and basic browsing (no videos/torrenting) their cheapest (500MB
for $10 I think?) plan isn't bad.

Hell, I once let wifi off for a month to see what my normal data usage was on
the phone... I think it was a whopping 37MB (not a typo). 6G is overkill for
me, but with the X950D, a 9dBi antenna and the 3W amp I have, I can get
online, even if only at 56k (GPRS) pretty much anywhere, which is important
for my kind of work. :-)

High-latency, slow links make you really thankful for your shell scripting and
vim experience, let me assure you.

-A.