[kwlug-disc] ubuntu: why do newer kernel packages sometimes get held back on upgrade?

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Thu Jul 1 10:12:30 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 08:51 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> (normally, i'd ask this on the ubuntu users mailing list but i'm
> getting kind of weirded out by how so many people there don't seem to
> understand questions.)
>
>   when i do a normal apt-get update/upgrade combo, why is it that
> three kernel-related packages sometimes get held back?  as i read it,
> i can, if i want, run:
>
>   $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> to pull them in.  is that the recommended way?  thanks.
>
> rday

Can you give us some more info about your current distro (9.10, 10.04,
10.10)?  Do you have backports enabled in /etc/apt/sources.list?

Often updates will be held back if a dependency is not available (yet).
I've seen this in ubuntu pre-release testing installs.  Running aptitude
and selecting the packages in question, you can scroll through and look
at the dependency list and see what is holding things up.  Usually the
situation clears itself up in a day or so when the required package hits
the repo.