[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu's default search engine to change in dealwithYahoo

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jan 27 19:17:55 EST 2010

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 01/27/2010 4:09 PM:
> Right now, Mozilla has Google as the default engine. Look at the URL here:
>
> http://www.google.ca/search?q=kwlug&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
> <http://www.google.ca/search?q=kwlug&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:official&client=firefox-a>
>
> See Ubuntu and Firefox in there? That is how Mozilla gets revenue.
>
> According to this link
> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/01/27/0118244/Ubuntu-Moves-To-Yahoo-For-Default-Firefox-Search
> it is a revenue sharing agreement.
>
> Ubuntu will get dollars from Yahoo for searches that are made from Firefox
> that is shipped with Ubuntu.
>
> The interesting twist is that Yahoo Search is now powered by Bing.

Which is what I first picked up on. And Bing is MS, right? (I don't
use it.)

So, Ubuntu has an agreement with Yahoo to use MS' search engine, which
is all just bizarre. (As I sit here in Kubuntu vnc'ed into XP, while
simultaneously reinstalling vmware tools in a vm running Win 7.)

In the process, Ubuntu is bypassing Mozilla's agreement with Google.
In the end, MS' is once again shafting NetScape (er, Mozilla). Via Ubuntu.

I thought Yahoo and MS were bitter enemies. Hostile takeover and all
that. Is that all yesterday's news?