[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu's default search engine to change in deal withYahoo

Oksana Goertzen ogoertzen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 12:49:30 EST 2010

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/01/ubuntus-default-search-engine-to-change-in-deal-with-yahoo.ars

"It's worth noting that Yahoo's data retention practices are more
privacy-friendly<http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2008/12/yahoo-outdoes-google-will-scrub-search-logs-after-90-days.ars>than
Google's. Yahoo search
records are anonymized after 90 days, a practice that will continue in the
future<http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/01/microsoft-to-delete-yahoo-search-data-after-3-months.ars>.
Google, on the other hand,
keeps the data for three times as long and has faced criticism for its
allegedly
inadequate<http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2008/09/security-expert-google-anonymization-not-anonymous-enough.ars>anonymization."

I believe, in some areas, Google has said they reserve the right to keep
your private data
forever and they link your search results with other Google services you
might use, so moving
to Yahoo, I think, is a positive step for open source software.