[kwlug-disc] Adding (setting up) 2nd disk.

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Jan 26 21:40:36 EST 2010

That's right.  Two drives, hda and hdb, both with only one partition on
them.  The second drive has two folders[*], /var and /home which get
mounted with the "bind" option.

Many thanx to the Ubuntu list, who got me through this:

  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-ca/2009-April/005901.html

--Bob.

[*] Yes, "Folders" is a Window-y term, but I use it to avoid the name space collision with X.500 directories.  Who decided it was a good idea to overload the word "Directory" anyway?

zixiekat at gmail.com wrote:
> That's using the 'bind' option, same as the mount --bind, correct?
>
> Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.
> Envoyé sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le réseau de Bell.

>>> 2. pvcreate /dev/sdb1 # Initialize the partition as a LVM Physical
>>> Volume
>>> 3. vgcreate MyData /dev/sdb1 # Create the Volume Group named MyData
>>> 4. lvcreate -L 20G -n home MyData # Create a 20GB volume group named
>>> "home"
>>> 5. lvcreate -L 60G -n data MyData #Create a 60GB volume named "data"

>>> kwlug-disc_kwlug.org at kwlug.org