[kwlug-disc] Adding (setting up) 2nd disk.

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Tue Jan 26 10:46:04 EST 2010

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 01/26/2010 08:39:14 AM:

> I'm setting up a kubuntu 9.10 box, 3 partitions: OS, swap, data.
>
> I would like /home and other good stuff, say /data, to be on the
> second disk.
>
> How do I do this / what are the magic google terms?
>
> mount the 2nd disk as /disk2, and create /home and /data and link them
> to /home and /data on the 2nd disk?
>
> Normally, one would make an entire partition as /something, like
> /home. Here I want multiple /somethings on the second disk.
>
> Are there other good things that should be there too? I presume /etc
> is right out, probably /usr too. /var?
>
> Good reference doc appreciated - "linux partitioning" drowns me as a
> search term.

It a fairly subtle task and might not be searchable.

On a new install you would choose an advanced disk set up and set up
partitions and mount points manually.

If you are retro-fitting a disk then you could do a short set of simple
commands (assuming /dev/sdb)

1. fdisk /dev/sdb # Create partitions, if they don't already exist. Keep
in mind any data on the disk will be lost.
2. mke2fs -j /dev/sdb1; mke2fs -j /dev/sdb2 # Create file systems.
3. Edit /etc/fstab to add the new file systems, mount then on the proper
destinations (i.e. /home and /data)
4. mount /home; mount /data # Mount the file systems. This command will
ensure that you fstab entries are correct.

A side task might be to temporarily mount the file systems (mkdir -p
/mnt/tmp; mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/tmp) and move over the data from the
existing folder (mv /home/* /mnt/tmp). Then umount and mount on the right
mount point (umount /mnt/tmp; mount /home)

You might also consider using LVM instead of raw partitions. LVM allows
you to expand file systems easily and add disks as needed. This is a
little more complicated:

1. fdisk /dev/sdb # create one partition
2. pvcreate /dev/sdb1 # Initialize the partition as a LVM Physical Volume
3. vgcreate MyData /dev/sdb1 # Create the Volume Group named MyData
4. lvcreate -L 20G -n home MyData # Create a 20GB volume group named
"home"
5. lvcreate -L 60G -n data MyData #Create a 60GB volume named "data"
6. mke2fs -j /dev/MyData/home; mke2fs -j /dev/MyData/data # Create file
systems on the LVs
7. Edit /etc/fstab and add the file systems.
8. mount /home; mount /data # Mount the file systems.

When creating LVs you might want to consider leaving unallocated space. In
other words don't assign all the disk space to LVs. Then as you use the
file systems you will see where you need more space and you can
re-allocate then. It's easy to add disk to an LV, it's harder to take it
away.

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.

CTO, co-CEO