[kwlug-disc] 3g usb / wi-fi (old thread) - perhaps of interest.

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Jan 21 23:50:43 EST 2010

And THAT's the advantage of OpenWRT.

If you have a black box that has a USB port, what it's used for is up
to the ingenuity of the programmers. i.e. I'll bet there are many
routers out their that the manufacturer's / software providers have
enabled a usb port for printing / storage. I doubt that they all take
a 3g/gsm dongle. OpenWRT lets the hardware be the hardware, without
artificial restriction of the software the box happens to contain.

But, without the hardware, all bets are off. I'll wait for the
hardware with OpenWRT'ability. Not ready to pay $$400, would pay $200.
Even if the retail store sells mass market models for $100. Don't want
to, but the price premium is worth it.

Anyone come across cheaper hardware than the routerstation pro, or are
we still in a hurry up and wait, state.

Finally got my laptop. Has 802.1n. Exasperated to discover only 2.4
GHz. No 5 GHz. BAH!