[kwlug-disc] Recommended printer / scanner all in one combo.

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun Jan 17 18:33:47 EST 2010

Chris Irwin says:

> Apparently Brother has some proprietary drivers on their website. They
> actually package them as .deb and .rpm files, so it should be easy to
> handle if you wanted to go that route. I have never even compared them
> as they are 32-bit and I didn't feel the need to go through the manual
> process for a 64-bit system just to satisfy my curiosity.
>
> http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/cups_drivers.html

My mileage varied...

I just installed a Brother MFC-7440N B&W laser/scanner/fax on Ubuntu
Karmic.  It wasn't recognized, and wouldn't work until I installed those
proprietary drivers. It's a fast printer, it can spit out a full tray of
blank paper in the time it takes to cancel a print job over the network.
Now it prints fine, but the scanner portion still doesn't work.
Fortunately, the owner currently has no interest in faxing.

I ran out of time (Saturdays are only so long), and I anticipate another
full-day printer wrestling session next weekend.

FWIW, the 32-bit drivers installed perfectly on 64-bit Karmic using dpkg
with the --force-all switch, no manual process required.

--Bob.