[kwlug-disc] ubiquiti rs pro

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Jan 17 10:00:05 EST 2010

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010, unsolicited wrote:

> I think you mis-read the $132. That's for "802.11a XR5 mPCI card, 1
> cable & 1 dual band antenna [KIT-XR5-SINGLE]"
>
> 802.11n, "802.11a/b/g/N SR71-A mPCI card, 3 cables & 3 antenna
> [KIT-SR71-A]"
> http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_104&products_id=827, is $192.
>
> 	And says "Kit on hold while Ubiquiti resolves a chipset issue."
>
> So kit (board, enclosure, power supply, power cord) $147.95 + pci
> board $192.00 -> $339.95. Coming out of Texas, office in Hawaii, so
> US$. No returns except DOA. $41.28 postage USPS Priority Mail®
> International Medium Flat Rate Box, 6 - 10 days, I'm guessing.
> US$381.23 x 1.0313 exchange -> #393.16, plus possibly PST, GST, and
> credit card currency commission ... even I'm not too enthusiastic at
> that price point.
>
> Richard's sourcing looks more and more attractive.

  quite so, as that final cost really defeats the whole purpose of my
original proposal which was to find a nice router available off the
shelf at a decent price we could collaborate on as a LUG project.

  shall we reset and try again?  any other routers look like a good
choice?  the point is that it doesn't have to be state-of-the-art,
bleeding edge, just good enough that most people would find it
acceptable and it would give them a chance to get into openWRT with a
minimum of muss, fuss and risk.

  or is that idea just not going to work?

rday