[kwlug-disc] ubiquiti rs pro

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat Jan 16 11:53:25 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 6:27 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>  whoops, i took a closer look and the base price of the indoor kit of
> $147.95 doesn't include wireless.  for wireless, you're looking at
> another $132.00 or so:
>
> http://www.netgate.com/index.php?cPath=27_104
>
> that's starting to get pricey.

The indoor box, with six(!) antenna knockouts looks pretty nice for
US$40.  I expect you would have to have 100s of these made for
yourself to beat or match that price point.

Consider the mini-PCI expansion options.  I found a few:

Radios, a/b/g/n
Firewire
video capture 1 - 16 channel
GPS
MPEG4 A/V compression
Serial ports

http://www.bvm-store.com/ProductCategory.asp?fdSubCategoryId=38

Perhaps none of these are really the best approach.  USB probably
offers more choice.  But, Hey!  Look at the cool toys.

What mini-PCI card would reduce the en/de-cryption burden on the
processor, so that secure wifi can happen, and still leave processing
cycles for interesting stuff?  Anything?