[kwlug-disc] Swapping drives on server

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Jan 14 11:35:32 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:49, Insurance Squared Inc. <
gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:

How boring will my day be if I pull the three drives from server 1 and
> insert them into server B (I don't mind a few minutes of downtime to make
> the switch and reboot)?  Did I just upgrade my server?  Or is linux likely
> to insert some excitement into my life?

This depends on a variety of issues. We do a system cloning at work for our
new systems and find that things go funny sometimes, in particular with
things like interface name persistence. When cloning RHEL between hosts, it
notices the MAC addresses are different and blows away our bond
configuration, for example. Ubuntu (Debian?) remembers old interface names
via either hal or udev, so while your old configuration for eth0 stays safe,
your NIC in the new hardware would be eth1 and ignore it.

I'm assuming you are not using any sort of system-configured hardware raid
and the hardware is identical other than the CPU and RAM. And if it is
identical, have you simply considered swapping those two components?

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>