[kwlug-disc] given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow?

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Sat Jan 9 10:44:38 EST 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-09 at 10:08 -0500, john at netdirect.ca wrote:
> -----kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote: -----
> >From: unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca>
> >
> >I get irritated when it is claimed Linux is more secure than Windows
> >because it doesn't get viruses. When we cannot possibly know that.
> >
> >Particularly when the reality is, if Linux were as popular as
> >Windows,
> >it would be a much greater target than it is today, and get a
> >correspondingly larger level of viruses (which are essentially bugs /
> >security holes).
> Compare it to neighbourhoods. Despite houses being generally alike in
> how they can be broken into, would you rather live in a neighbourhood
> that has a high rate of break-ins or lower rate?
> I pick Linux. It has a lower rate of break-ins and I don't have to do
> very much to keep it that way.
If "more eyeballs..." is not exactly true, then the "Windows has more
security problems because it is more popular" line is pure BS.

Windows has more security problems because it has a poor/non-existent
security policy that allows any Tom, Dick or Harriet process root

If security problems scaled with adoption, then Mac users should be
running for their anti-virus distributors.  Surely Apple is ripe target
for hackers.  In reality, Mac users happily compute without A/V software
degrading the performance of their systems.  Why is that?  It is because
OSX is firmly rooted in BSD which, like Linux, is designed for secure
multi-user environments from day one. From a security standpoint, it is
a demonstrably better operating system than any of the Windows.

I do not understand why people put up with a product as defective as
Windows - a product so defective that it implores you to go and buy
anti-virus software as soon as you start it.  It is like buying a new
car and when you start it you get a warning light that directs you to
the repair shop immediately.  Car buyers would consider that a lemon.
In computer-land, MS has made it the happy norm.  This is where Linux
and BSD are clearly superior in ways that the typical user (and their
wallets) can understand and appreciate.