[kwlug-disc] given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri Jan 8 23:41:46 EST 2010

Insurance Squared writes:

> Boggles my mind that what I'm running on my desktop has been built by
> people doing it for free after work.

Mostly not.  I think that many (most) of the F/LOSS tools and programs
have been written by corporate programmers writing for their
corporation.  The spinoffs of Libre software have made their code
available to the rest of us.

Think of Novell's SUSE development.  Here is a commercial Linux
development company, releasing their code for free.  But those guys get
*paid* by Novell to do that.  Granted, Novell pays them (and other
programmers) to build proprietary applications that run on SUSE, but
first they need to build the foundation OS needed by those proprietary
applications, and that foundation OS is released freely.

--Bob.