[kwlug-disc] given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow?

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Fri Jan 8 23:06:00 EST 2010

I would group the bug-squashing you describe as part of the code
development process in which the experts who write the code get a chance
to debug it.  This step should be the same for open or closed source
code.  Hopefully, 99%+ of bugs are filtered out at this level!

I guess I'm asking what is the advantage of an end-user with the source
code and valgrind over an end-user with a binary blob for the purposes
of identifying bugs?  Especially those related to security.

It seems that giving the masses access to code in development is a way
for FOSS projects to leverage the community advantage for improving code
quality.  Too bad many projects forgo this and just push out a tarball
every few months.

I look forward to your response to Rob's original question.