[kwlug-disc] Backup and Recovery in the 21st Century

Brad Bierman bbierman42 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 20:35:23 EST 2010

Here is my suggestion.

For the windows problem, this is what I have done before:
1. Make the system as complete as I want it (everything installed)
2. Boot the system with clonezilla
http://clonezilla.org/
3. Copy the image to your Linux server

If you need to restore the drive, boot the system with Clonzilla again and
do a restore from your Linux server.  It will be exactly as it was when you
imaged the drive.

You will need as much space on your Linux server as is *used* on your
original drive.  This should work also for Mac and Linux systems.

For an offsite backup, I would have someone I trust with a Linux server and
have an automated rsync over ssh keep information up to date at a defined
interval.

When I have had to keep incremental backups from a Windows Server I have
used winSCP (http://winscp.net/eng/index.php) and done incremental backups
to my Linux server over ssh.

If there is any interest in me elaborating on any of this I can spend some
time writing it up.

Brad
--
http://www.google.com/profiles/bbierman42