[kwlug-disc] VoIP questions

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Jan 5 19:00:07 EST 2010

Lori Paniak wrote, On 01/05/2010 12:08 PM:
> Maybe I can answer that...
>
> The Internet Telephone Service Provider (ITSP) gives you a bridge from
> the POTS to VOIP through a Direct Inward Dialing (DID) number (telephone
> number!).  You don't really buy a phone number - just rent it.
.
.
.

Isn't it actually mine? You just pay them to be the point of presence
for where a call made via pots, lands?

i.e. I can transfer my bell phone number to unlimitel. Is it not
'mine'? I guess renting implies that ... ok it gets weird. But for
some amount of time, suppose I change itsp's, is it not mine / does it
not exist before it becomes unclaimed and open for someone else to use?