[kwlug-disc] VoIP questions

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Tue Jan 5 12:08:16 EST 2010

Maybe I can answer that...

The Internet Telephone Service Provider (ITSP) gives you a bridge from
the POTS to VOIP through a Direct Inward Dialing (DID) number (telephone
number!).  You don't really buy a phone number - just rent it.

A non-toll-free number from a typical ITSP (unlimitel, les.net,
link2voip) costs $2.50-3.50 with ~2c/min for all calls.  Toll-free
numbers are also available at slightly higher cost.