[kwlug-disc] any thoughts on the current mysql brouhaha?

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 11:45:20 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> http://holdenweb.blogspot.com/2010/01/wht-save-mysql-now.html
>
> is it time to shift to postgresql?

I'm with the original article: what's the big deal?  MySQL is GPL
(albeit with Monty's own dual-licensing shenanigans).  There's nothing
stopping us from using/forking it, no matter what Oracle does.

The big question is what sort of commitment does Oracle have to
continuing development?  We don't know yet.  I don't really think that
getting the EU to object on antitrust grounds (and given the number of
viable database competitors out there, big and small, I don't see the
grounds) will help the project. Getting Oracle to set up a well-funded
foundation for MySQL would be nice, but I don't see how Monty has
legal or ethical standing to demand that they do.  His deal was done a
long time ago.  And I don't see how it's in Oracle's interest.

That said, I'd be happy to see progresql get more love.  But I'm
tending towards schemaless datastores for most of my projects these
days.

Darcy.