[kwlug-disc] Summary: To be decided Monday - kwlug will meet at King & William going forward?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Jan 3 12:08:38 EST 2010

kwlug is looking for a new meeting location.

[1] Meeting location criteria post.

[2] New meeting location sourced.

[3] Proposal to committee to host kwlug without charge.

The committee that can approve meeting space without charge to kwlug
meets Wednesday - kwlug must decide at this Monday's meeting if it
wishes to be represented to the committee (as per [3]) and hold future
meetings at King & William.

[Messages have been variously snipped and edited.]

=====

unsolicited wrote, On 12/16/2009 4:58 PM:
> To: kwlug-disc at kwlug.org Subject: [kwlug-disc] New locations
> brainstorming As some of you know, we have likely lost the Huether
> as a meeting location.

Speaking of (new) meeting locations, perhaps it would help if we
discussed the characteristics of what we'd like to see. Perhaps
Santa will be good to kwlug this year.

Overall I liked the Huether. I would be happy to go back there. I
parked at the Waterloo Public Library for free and walked two short
blocks. I liked not having to go anywhere to grab a bite.

Wherever we go, we're going to need to manage and meet the
expectations of whomever our hosts are, particularly if the space is
free. If the space is free I'd guess we'll have to show that we are of
interest to their other patrons - show that we are relevant to the
K-W community within which that free space sits. And kwlug will
have to change to some extent. Of course, too great a change would
be unwelcome by kwlug and the candidate site rejected.

We also need to know what sort of meeting space we'd like to see.
Which is what I'd like to open for discussion in this thread.

Some thoughts to seed the discussion:
- cost of entry must be absolutely free.
- reasonably nearby parking of sufficient size must be free.
- on a main bus route.
- big enough, for, say, 40 people, on average.
- chairs; perhaps some tables for those with laptops; projection screen
- reasonably quiet. Working Centre noise is what drove us to look
for alternative sites.
- preferable, but we seem to manage if the site doesn't have them to
hand: projector, some form of sound system (unless the space is
small and quiet enough to not need them.) Best if even Khalid
doesn't need a microphone.
   - white board? Meeting signs to direct people? One of those giant
pads of paper and stand?
- would be nice if larger alternate on-site space were available
by pre-arrangement for the better attended topics, e.g. MythTV.
- would be nice if there was space on-site to grab a bite rather
than having to go elsewhere. Such would also probably facilitate our
'ask your neighbour' recommendation. Would space, but no restaurant,
be acceptable?
- personally I'd prefer to be in K-W, and not the heck the other side
of Kitchener.
- Free internet access present. Of some reasonable speed. We have
shown that we can largely do without, at the Working Centre, but I
don't think people really want to. Too many netbooks are present
such that I think given two relatively equal choices - one with
access, one without, the internet location will be chosen hands
down. Even if only for the presenters to be able to show us the
web site of whatever they're presenting on.
- not at the Universities - aside from the cost of parking, I think
we collide with similar groups already on campus, and they have a
slightly different direction than kwlug. (Nothing prevents people
from attending both.) kwlug seems focused upon 'downtown everyman',
not post-secondary students / academia. No offense to anyone.

There's another aspect that I think we should also discuss. Manulife
would have been a fantastic place to meet, probably a really nice
setting and environment, but perhaps off-putting to some. On the
other hand, the Working Centre, given its raison d'etre, is
inherently visible and welcoming to newcomers. Not as stark as a
gymnasium but probably not as swank as Manulife. Does the kwlug
community have a preference or leaning towards one environment or the
other?

=====
[2] New meeting location sourced.