[kwlug-disc] RAID-0 for the first time

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Feb 25 11:54:29 EST 2010

Richard Weait wrote, On 02/24/2010 11:26 PM:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
>> In simplistic terms:
>>
>> RAID-0 : spanning disks. Data can be on any of the disks that comprise a
>> "set". It is good for speed, but worse than your data on a single disk (one
>> disk in the set makes the rest of the data useless).
>
> That works for me.  The data is also elsewhere, but fast-here is important.

FWIW, add 1 disk, gets you raid 5, speed near the same IIRC, but now
you have redundancy. Currently for you, it'll be a PITA when you lose
a stripe. Not all that much better if you lose a raid 5 drive, but you
can at least recover. (It's not just an issue of redundancy, it's how
much time and aggravation you spend in recovery. Particularly when, as
I suspect will be the case for you, it will be some time before you
experience a failure, and will suddenly be under the gun to sink back
into the technology. For something that was just working, and all the
expertise you've just gained goes into cold storage.)

I'm guessing this is for your media server? What made you go to
stripes, were you experiencing slowness? Has the raid (striping)
noticeably help?