[kwlug-disc] RAID-0 for the first time

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Feb 24 23:23:40 EST 2010

In simplistic terms:

RAID-0 : spanning disks. Data can be on any of the disks that comprise a
"set". It is good for speed, but worse than your data on a single disk (one
disk in the set makes the rest of the data useless).

RAID-1 : Mirroring. You start with 2 identical disks, and end up with the
space for one of them only. Data is on both disks.

RAID-5 : You have a certain number of disks larger than 2, and add one disk
for checksum. The RAID controller (or software) can recreate the data from
the rest of the disks. This offers the best tradeoff of space vs. protection
in the older RAID modes. It is also called N+1.

There are more "modern" types that basically combine the above types for
better performance and data protection. e.g. RAID-10, ...etc.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Rashkae <rashkae at tigershaunt.com> wrote:
> > Richard Weait wrote:
> >>
> >> For the RAID-0, it might actually be installed and working properly,
> >> but df -hT reports too much capacity on the RAID drive.
> > What you were expecting is Raid-1, (aka mirroring).  Raid 0 is a bit of a
> > misnomer; there is no 'redundant' disk.
>
> Hunh.  My bad.  I want the RAID-0 for the speed; I thought I was going
> to have to take a capacity hit for redundancy.  Lookit that.  Cool.
>
> Thanks Rashkae and Khalid.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com