[kwlug-disc] how to recover corrupt mysql database from .frm files?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Feb 24 10:48:46 EST 2010

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>>    a colleague asks me if there's a way to recover a mysql database
>> that was being hosted by someone else and was apparently corrupted
>> in ways that are not at all obvious.
>>
>>    all the hosting company is providing him with is a tar file of the
>> /var/lib/mysql/<db>  directory, which consists of nothing but .frm
>> files (so it's in innodb format, correct?).  they won't give him the
>> ibdata1 file or ib log files, for security reasons.

Can your colleague ask the hosting company to "restore the database" to
the state it was X number of days ago?  Was backup and restore part of
their contract?

Seems to me the benefits of having databases professionally hosted are
business continuity, high availability, data integrity, &c...

--
Bob Jonkman<bjonkman at sobac.com>          http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software   ---   Office&  Business Automation   ---   Consulting