[kwlug-disc] how to start and use a shared git repo in place?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue Feb 23 11:16:09 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 06:23:28AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   at this point, what's the preferred method of working with this
> content/repo if i want to be able to make changes/adds, commits, but
> also be able to checkout back to earlier commits *and* share that repo
> with others?

You can always share a git repo with others.  I'm somewhat unclear
how you plan to do the sharing.  Do you expect people to make edits in the
same working directory?  Or do you expect them to push to this
repo once they are done making their own local changes in their
own cloned repos?

If the latter, then keep in mind that the branch you currently have
checked out will not be pushable, at least not in newer versions of
git.  This is supposedly a safety mechanism to prevent you from
advancing your master branch without updating your working directory.

>   i suspect it's not just allowing multiple people to work in the
> directory simultaneously.  i suspect it will involve having different
> users create their own branches.  but i'd rather not have everyone
> have to clone their own working copies since that would defeat the
> purpose of having created the repo on top of that existing content.

This almost sounds like you're looking for git clone --shared,
but unless you're really tight on hard disk space, I wouldn't recommend it.

Could you give us an example of how you would like two users to be
working with this repo?

- Chris