[kwlug-disc] how to start and use a shared git repo in place?

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 08:57:40 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>  at this point, what's the preferred method of working with this
> content/repo if i want to be able to make changes/adds, commits, but
> also be able to checkout back to earlier commits *and* share that repo
> with others?
>
>  i suspect it's not just allowing multiple people to work in the
> directory simultaneously.  i suspect it will involve having different
> users create their own branches.  but i'd rather not have everyone
> have to clone their own working copies since that would defeat the
> purpose of having created the repo on top of that existing content.
>
>  is there a preferred way of doing this?  thanks.

You need to create a repository that's shared by other users.  That's
what github is designed to do, but any sort of shared file repository
should work.

Normally, I think you'd start up by creating the shared repository and
then bring it down with 'git branch'.

I think you can also use 'git push' to create a shared repository
somewhere that other users can get at it.

Look at 'git push', 'git pull' and 'git merge'.

Darcy.