[kwlug-disc] VOIP and Direct Detect (offtopic)

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Sat Feb 20 08:12:12 EST 2010

This customer had an ATA, probably a sipura (it was a while ago) that connected the fax to an asterisk box.

I think it generally worked because the LAN between the two was not heavily used (two PCs and two servers).

What would have worked better is a telephony card in the Asterisk box or a dedicated ethernet connection.

A solution like a fax machine connected to a telephony card in asterisk connected to the PSTN through a telephony card would work very well. Render a movie on the asterisk box and I bet you'd kill the fax connection. Pass the fax connection through a loaded network and it would affect the fax. In other words add any inconsistent delay and it affects the fax.

There is a VoIP protocol for sending faxes over a network. I haven't checked lately to see if asterisk supports it yet. Fax is slowly dying in favour of email and scanned document attachments. So I'm not looking to innovate there myself.

John Van Ostrand , CTO, co-CEO
Net Direct Inc.
564 Weber St. N. Unit 12
Waterloo, ON N2L 5C6