[kwlug-disc] Re: VOIP and Direct Detect (offtopic)

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Fri Feb 19 17:31:36 EST 2010

Jason (and other interested parties).

IMHO The problem I see is that the Linksys SPA-2102 VoIP ATA is not
line powered, meaning powered from the telephone circuit. This means
that the local mains, aka hydro power, must be present for the ATA to
work. In an emergency this might not be the case.

I would be interested in seeing if the Direct Detect equipment is,
itself, line powered. Most (if not all) DSL circuits in KW are
provided by Bell regardless of whether the ISP is Bell or another
business who is reselling the Bell DSP circuit. I suspect, but I am
not certain, that whether or not there is telephone service on the
DSL circuit, that the 48 Volt loop voltage is  present on the circuit.