[kwlug-disc] Olympics and proprietary software

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Feb 18 00:04:30 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 04:45:51PM -0500, Richard Weait wrote:
> Some are claiming success viewing the Olympics with
> http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight/OlympicsPlayerIssues

This works in Ubuntu Hardy Heron (which has Firefox 3.0.17, not 3.7 as
recommended on the wiki). Of course, in order to play the content I am
prompted to download some proprietary codec pack with a scary EULA.
Video quality isn't fantastic, but that could be because the computer
is not blazing fast.

It's a moot point anyways. I lost the Linux conversion some time ago.
Now I'll never get my toaster oven. But the discussion has been
helpful in understanding some of the issues around multimedia, so
I am grateful for that.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org