[kwlug-disc] RedHat yum dependency handling

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Thu Feb 11 12:45:35 EST 2010

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 02/11/2010 12:04:48 PM:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:26 AM, <john at netdirect.ca> wrote:
> try
>
> yum --enablerepo=base,updates,rpmforge install munin
>
> Tried it, still errors.

Looks like something is wrong in the repolist. run:

        yum repolist

Mine looks like:

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
 * addons: netops.nexicom.net
 * base: pubmirrors.reflected.net
 * epel: serverbeach1.fedoraproject.org
 * extras: netops.nexicom.net
 * rpmforge: ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de
 * updates: netops.nexicom.net
repo id              repo name                      status
addons               CentOS-5 - Addons              enabled:      0
base                 CentOS-5 - Base                enabled:  2,535
epel                 Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 5 - i386 enabled:
 4,032
extras               CentOS-5 - Extras              enabled:    325
rpmforge             Red Hat Enterprise 5 - RPMforge.net - dag  enabled:
10,065
updates              CentOS-5 - Updates             enabled:    514
repolist: 17,471

Ignore the "epel", I added that myself. I also added rpmforge myself, so
it's clear some admin in the past was modifying the repos on your server.
You might be missing base and updates from the list too. If so re-enable
then in the repo files and re-run the command.

I think there is an issue with rpmforge as that's where you are having
problems. It may be that rpmforge.repo is not correct. Yours may be
pointing to an old release or a bad URL.

Here is mine:

# cat rpmforge.repo
# Name: RPMforge RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise 5 - dag
[rpmforge]
name = Red Hat Enterprise $releasever - RPMforge.net - dag
#baseurl = http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/$basearch/dag
mirrorlist = http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/mirrors-rpmforge
#mirrorlist = file:///etc/yum.repos.d/mirrors-rpmforge
enabled = 1
protect = 0
gpgkey = file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmforge-dag
gpgcheck = 1
priority=3

P.S. I set the priority=3 myself, you might not have to worry about it if
it isn't in yours.

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.

CTO, co-CEO