[kwlug-disc] RedHat yum dependency handling

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Thu Feb 11 07:27:31 EST 2010

It looks like perl is not installed on the server. It also looks like someone changed the repo config as well. Look into /etc/yum.repos.d. Each file in there configures one or more repos. Each repo has a line like "enable=". I suspect the base and/or updates has been disabled by a previous admin.

The person who did so may not have known about the "--disablerepo=" and "--enablerepo=" args to yum.

You can do this without changing files by:

yum --enablerepo=base,updates install munin

When it comes up with the list of installs notice the repo each package is coming from.

John Van Ostrand , CTO, co-CEO
Net Direct Inc.
564 Weber St. N. Unit 12
Waterloo, ON N2L 5C6