[kwlug-disc] Firefox tab addons - tab folders?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Feb 8 18:06:47 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 5:44 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 02/08/2010 5:10 PM:
>
>  On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 3:23 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca <mailto:
>> unsolicited at swiz.ca>> wrote:
>>
>>    Khalid, recently, indicated he has something like 240 tabs open in
>>    Firefox.
>>
>> Yes, it is a bad habit. Yes, I can stop anytime ... umm Ctrl-T. :-)
>>
>>    I've had to go to taberwocky as firefox version updates have left
>>    whatever addon I was using in the dust.
>>
>>    I now have three rows across the top of opened tabs. (I like tabs
>>    across the top, not the side.)
>>
>>    This is getting irritating. Yes, I could close the tabs. Don't want
>>    to. tthhpptt.
>>
>>    Any add ons out there that keep tabs along the top, but let me put
>>    them in folders? i.e. There are groups of tabs related to whatever I
>>    was investigating at the time, but haven't gotten around to a
>>    conclusion on yet. It would be nice to group these tabs into a
>>    single tab bar entry that was expandable.
>>
>> I never bothered to have all the tabs visible. They scroll when there is
>> more of them on the screen. Normally this is one window only (the "read
>> later" window).
>>

> First, I ended up with taberwocky as my normal 'duplicate tab'
> functionality was lost. [I forget due to firefox version upgrade, or
> installed a new firefox version and went looking to see what one can do with
> tabs.] The first addon I tried, much like you describe, got irritating as it
> wrapped - when I just wanted to go to the last tab, and scrolled right ...
> it never stopped scrolling. <sigh>

Yes, that happens.

But I use Ctrl-Tab to go to the next tab, or when I am on the first tab (my
RSS reader), I press Ctrl-Shift-Tab to go to the last tab.

Um, are you saying you have multiple firefox windows open, one of which is
> designated as the read later window? (1) What, do you just move tabs back
> and forth between the two? e.g. On the non-read-later window you come across
> something for later reading, you just right-click the tap and say 'go to
> other window'?

Nothing fancy, just click in the URL box and do Ctrl-A Ctrl-C to copy the
URL, then switch to the other Window, and click Ctrl-T and then Ctrl-P to
paste the URL, followed by enter. Maybe not the most efficient way, but no
extensions needed, and my fingers learned how to do it without me thinking
much. Less mousing too.

(2) No problems with multiple windows opening with the correct tabs after
> exiting / starting firefox again?

That is what Session Manager does. You can save sessions for opening later,
and it saves automatically the last session for you, and you get exactly
where you were if FireFox closes.

>  What I use is session manager (a life saver to open what I was in last
>> time, whether it is a crash or need to reboot because of a new kernel,
>> ..etc.) and NoScript, which stops javascript and Flash on most sites. Those
>> two are the reason Firefox uses so much CPU. Without NoScript,Firefox
>> becomes very slow with so many tabs opened most of them with ads dancing
>> around.
>>

> On list (your?) recommendation I loaded noscript. Not entirely sure I'm
> impressed with it. Think I added noreferrer and flashblock addons as well.
> Not sure I'm happier with noscript over just ad block plus.

It takes some getting used to. You have to get used to web sites looking
broken
until you enable JS and Flash for them explicitly, or add them to a
whitelist.

But I see a significant performance boost when having that many tabs open.
Otherwise, things are really sluggish as Flash ads suck up so much CPU time.

> Session Manager?
>
> This is the magic for re-opening your multiple sessions with the same tabs?

Yes.

> And this is different than the built in 'session manager' which
> keeps/restores your tabs at firefox close/open?

Yes. It allows you to save and go to previous sessions.

Try it. There is no downside to it.

>     Suggestions?
>>
>>    (Note, I'm not talking bookmarks, here. Opened tabs.)
>>

> It would still be nice to tree/folder tabs on the tab bar

Yes, it would. When someone has something work, please share it.

> - put all those read later tabs pertaining to X in one tab. Perhaps this is
> what you gain with session manager. Essentially each windows becomes that
> grouping. Certainly not move the tabs to the side.

No solution to have all the tabs visible yet for me.

Saw these on Mozilla right now

Some of those overlap with each other and with Session Manager, and
I have not tried any of them yet.

Again, someone can share what they use.

(And Richard, yes, this could be "Firefox extensions that I use" group
presentation!)
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.