[kwlug-disc] Drupal Multi-site Hosting

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Mon Feb 8 10:57:17 EST 2010

I'm noticing that have more and more Drupal sites. Most are internal but
increasingly more and more are customer sites. We have been installing
separate Drupal instances for each web site and it becomes time consuming
to keep them all up-to-date and we risk becoming insecure if we miss one.

I know that Drupal can handle multi-site hosting per instance and I'm now
considering doing just that. It seems clear how to go about doing this,
but I'm worried about the consequences.

Does anyone know any gotchas in doing this?

The multi-site hosting seems easy:

- Install one copy with a generous assortment of useful (and active)
modules and themes,
- Create a sites/customer.com directory structure and matching Linux user
so they can upload modules, themes and files,
- Create a database,
- Create an Apache config for the domain,

This should allow customers to upload/download themes, additional modules,
and control their own site's users and settings. They can use the base
modules (in sites/all/modules) or add their own.

I could set up three instances, one for 5.x, 6.x and 7.x and put the
user's sites/customer.com directory in whichever instance they want. Then,
when needed, I'd only have to do one update to affect all sites for a
given version. When a user wants to upgrade, we run through the upgrade
process except move the sites/customer.com to the new instance, then run
the update process to update their database.

One unique thing in this is that we most of our customers rely on us to do
the web site administration, however we do have customers that work with
their site at an content level (e.g. they don't change site-wide configs
like modules, themes or such.)

We would have to concern ourselves with making sure some customers are
prepped before upgrading.

Is any hosting provider doing this effectively?

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.

CTO, co-CEO
564 Weber St. N. Unit 12