[kwlug-disc] What's the best desktop distribution?

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Thu Feb 4 17:58:07 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 17:28 -0500, unsolicited wrote:

> Lori Paniak wrote, On 02/04/2010 2:07 PM:

> >> .... provided you have installed ONLY packages from APT repositories.
> >> This has always been an issue with Perl modules, but it is getting
> >> worse with Ruby gems and Drupal modules and who knows what else. I am
> >> increasingly growing to believe that Debian package management is
> >> ill-suited for the kinds of applications people actually want to run.
> >
> > I agree that not all software people want to run is in apt repositories
> > - but it should be!  ...
>
> And we're back to why Windows update doesn't do it all, either. Full
> circle.

Not even close.  All software on my laptop is managed by the apt system.
There are no similarly equipped personal Windows systems where WinUpdate
covers even a fraction of the software.  Let's not confuse specialized
server software with desktop applications.

The real difference is that with open source software, total integration
of all updates into a single package manager is a possibility.  For
various reasons, Windows will never posses such a feature
out-of-the-box: Imagine, if you will, the universe where Apple submits
iTunes patches to the MS package management system.