[kwlug-disc] What's the best desktop distribution?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Feb 4 17:39:44 EST 2010

john at netdirect.ca wrote, On 02/04/2010 4:57 PM:
> kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 02/04/2010 02:07:46 PM:
>> Why can't somebody write code that will automatically register
>> RubyGems and Drupal modules into APT's databases, so that running
>> apt-get upgrade will inform me (and allow me to upgrade) those
>> packages when there are fixes? There are already lots of reasonable
>> packaging systems out there. Why can't they all just get along?
>
> We need some kind of meta-package manager that is modular. Right now it
> would open the door for handling CPAN, Pear, Drupal and other modular
> applications; but in the future it would help in the transition to new and
> better package managers of the future.

Did we just slip into the apt vs. yum debate? Or, into the need for a
super-apt or super-yum?

Wasn't the point made that everything should be in the repository?

And we're back to ... even yum / apt / repositories aren't the be all
and end all that we like to say they are for the purposes of laughing
at Windows. Debate and evolution occur even in yum / apt /
repositories - ultimately we will have to, yet again, learn a new
packaging / repository / update system.

Because these ancillary items won't shoehorn themselves into current
methodologies. Vicious circle. Linux is not immune.