[kwlug-disc] What's the best desktop distribution?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Feb 4 17:21:53 EST 2010

Our strategy for "when to go outside the repository" is to be a minimalist
on production server.

For example, for Ubuntu LTS, APC is not in the repository. It is on
later non LTS versions (9.10 for example). Moreover, PHP memcache
is in the LTS repository, but it is a version known to be bad (2.2.0 vs.
2.2.1).

So, we install both APC and PHP's memcache via PECL, and nothing else.
Ubuntu updates for PHP never broke either of them, because they are shared
libraries that still work. Or perhaps
we were lucky.

For Drupal, all the installation is done via downloads from drupal.org
be it for core of contrib modules. This makes updates via drupal.org
work seamlessly.

Everything else is via apt.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin