[kwlug-disc] What's the best desktop distribution?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Feb 4 10:48:23 EST 2010

> One might argue that there is separate software for that in Windows.
> Windows SMS, or MOM (is it?) And there are 3rd party packages. Those, also
> provide monitoring for patches and AV updates. The Linux package managers
> don't monitor.

They can be set to update automatically.

Just put this in cron.

aptitude update && aptitude -y safe-upgrade

However, as you said, I like to see what changed and decide to update
when it is convenient for the client (and for me), not blindly go and
update.

There is also apticron, which I use on all our servers and for client
servers.
It runs once a day overnight and reports back if there are any updates
pending,
in an email.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin