[kwlug-disc] What's the best desktop distribution?

Adam Glauser adamglauser at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 09:56:47 EST 2010

William Park wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 08:21:08AM -0500, Adam Glauser wrote:
>> William Park wrote:
>> The thing I like most about Debian and its kin is the repository.
>> Having one mechanism to manage security patches to packages is the
>> killer app for Linux over Windows as far as I am concerned.  This
>> probably applies to the Red Hat family now too, given the advent of yum.
>>
>> How does Slackware approach this problem, if at all?
>
> All Linux distros and Windows have their own way of updates.  Of Linux
> distro, Slackware deviates from the Unix "norm" the least.

Okay, but that doesn't really answer my question.  An article[1] I found
from Linux.com suggests that Slackware has repositories and a tool
called Slackpkg similar to apt or yum.  Is it widely used by the Slack
community?  If you use it, have you found the selection of packages in
the official repositories sufficient?

[1] http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/60326