[kwlug-disc] SJK accessibility

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Feb 3 13:08:23 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 05:29:27PM -0500, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:

> Re: the mic, I was thinking of making a crude holder for the mic
> from a clothes hanger wire and putting it around my neck. That would
> free both hands and ensures a constant volume. Other more
> professional solutions welcome of course.

Here is an idea: could we get a clip-on mic that is wired? The
wireless ones are quite expensive. Would a tethered mic be cheaper?

> For the layout, one thing we could try, and I mentioned it to Paul,
> is if we can move the other side of the room we were in (below the
> windows across from where we were).

We are welcome to play with any layout that we want as long as we
put everything back afterwards. Keep in mind that Richard and a few
others valiantly came in before the meeting to help set up the room
beforehand. We started at about 6:30pm and just barely got stuff set
up in time. More elaborate layouts would require more setup help.

Brent says that deep is going to be even worse for sound, but I am
open to trying it out.

I agree that the background noise is too loud. After asking for the
mic volume to be raised (because I was having a hard time hearing
Raul), I found Eric to be too loud for me -- my ears were hurting
throughout the meeting.

I took a look around the area after the meeting. There is one set of
doors that I can close to reduce the noise a bit. There are two areas
of the space that seem a little quieter than the main area, but I am
not sure either of them make for good meeting space.

Maybe if I learned a little bit about how to get the sound working
right it would be better.

One issue we will face during the summer months is light pollution.
The windows do not have any curtains, as far as I know.

- Paul