[kwlug-disc] Best Server Distribution??

Oksana Goertzen ogoertzen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 15:58:55 EST 2010

Here is my 2 cents!  :)  Take from it what you will...

In my opinion, distro does matter.. (Sorry Richard!!)  and it matters
because of
support and what you enjoy working with.  Working in IT, and supporting IT
means
you know what it feels like when things are not working and you are the
choke
point... when you have a problem with a system you want to be able to rely
on
someone else for support, for expertise, for "just-making-it-work" when
you're too
tired, too confused or whatever.  So, I would go with a hardware vendor who
has
dedicated linux support and releases linux drivers and documentation etc. ..
so
maybe that's IBM or HP... I'm not so certain of Dell's support.  Then you
want
to go with a distro whose tools you like working with - check out
RedHat/SuSe/Ubuntu's
tools for managing their servers and services.  Is there a GUI version?, do
you need
a GUI version? [Will anyone else be doing some day-to-day management if you
are
absent - training/sick].  Are those tools comprehensive, efficient and easy
to use?  Is
there a separate tool for everything (like M$).  What's patching like?  How
do you
determine what's patched?  And finally, what is their support like?  Do you
want to call
them directly or call a local reseller/vendor who will support their
platform(s)?  The
decisions you make here will impact you.  These decisions will determine how
well
your implementation will go, especially if you are new or inexperienced with
Linux and
the new software you'll be rolling out.  Thankfully, if everything is set up
correctly at
first you'll likely have far fewer issues maintaining and supporting
everything after the
fact than you _ever_ did with Microsoft!  :)

I believe OpenXchange is an option with regard to replacing Exchange.  I
also
believe there are other options if you want your clients/staff to continue
to run Outlook
in the short term.  This might be the easiest solution ... leaving the
workstations as-is
as much as possible for now.. running XP and Office and later on, in a
second phase
of implementation, migrate email and users to Open Office.

If your clients/staff need Terminal Services to authenticate remotely, I
don't know if
there are Linux options.  CALs for Terminal Services are expensive if I
recall correctly.
Anyone??

As John mentioned, nearly everything else can be migrated to Linux...DHCP,
DNS,
PDC, File/Print/Fax services, Email, Security, Backup, and AV, Web Hosting
etc.

And as Khalid suggested, you need to do the math and prove to management
what they
will save and how... because there will likely be some pain from end users
and others
who don't want change or or frustrated by the changes and won't understand
why
you are changing away from something as glorious as Microsoft.  :)  For
example you
could look at patching... and patch Tuesday.  Patching Linux is generally
completely
painless and you don't need to reboot unless you're patching the kernel
(even then, there
are ways to eliminate that if you wish .. the old security/usability
arguments apply however).
I think many, many good arguments can be made for the architecture of the
solution,
it just needs to be quantified to management - in terms they can
appreciate... i.e. easier
to troubleshoot, less maintenance, patching is not disruptive/better uptime,
more stable
and reliable, better performance on the same hardware, easy to remote into
and fix,
secure.  :)

One other thing you might want to consider if you're replacing hardware is
virtualization...
if you get a robust enough piece of hardware you could run multiple servers
doing
discrete tasks on one machine... better utilizing drive space, cpu and so
on.  As well,
some vendors offer linux appliances which are optimized for that one app and
are
pretty much turnkey solutions.

Good Luck!  It sounds like a fun and exciting project!!

Oksana