[kwlug-disc] Linux advocacy, was: Linux Marketshare

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 14:19:01 EST 2010

Here has been my approach:

Take advantage of what Linux offers in reconfigurability.

- Check what their main applications (only applications?) are
- Put big icons with very explicit names. and at the main level in the menu.
- Put everything else out of the way, after all, they are not going to be doing things that they don't know what to do.

I did this for my mom (computerphobic) and it worked OK. She gets tired of typing on the keyboard but that is the extent of it.

With my dad who it is a bit of a tinkerer with very bad memory, we are using Tomboy to write down the instructions of things that he does frequently. If he forgets, he opens the step by step reminder. No more written notes in notebooks all over the place.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
http://rarsa.blogspot.com/