[kwlug-disc] running samba with no windows involved?

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Tue Feb 2 14:06:26 EST 2010

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 02/02/2010 02:01:08 PM:

> p.s. just FYI, i wanted to be able to put together a hands-on demo of
> setting up samba, even when there was no windows system available.
> weird, yes, but better than nothing.

We usually use smbclient and nmblookup for testing samba and windows
servers. Make sure you check file permissions on the actual files. One
common error in setting up samba is that a user is unable to write a file
created by another user. Although this can be desirable, it's usually a
flaw.

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.

CTO, co-CEO