[kwlug-disc] Linux Marketshare

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Tue Feb 2 14:03:25 EST 2010

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 02/02/2010 01:49:02 PM:
> "Desktop penetration" that is something that should be highlighted
> as some people use these stats to point out that "Linux has only 1%
> of the market" disregarding the market share on servers and embeded

But what about the other aspects of this survey?

What web sites were monitored? Forty thousand is a big number for it not
to be random but what if many were MS centric for some reason or another?

Firefox has User-Agent override add-ons. I use them to access sites that
claim to require IE but actually don't. In those cases the logs would show
my system is IE?/WinXP.

How unique are the visits? Is it daily, is it based on IP address,
cookies, etc?

Could hacks (that are rampant) be masquerading as MS systems and skew the

Maybe there is a bigger difference between the habits of Linux users and
other Internet users.

When I think about it 1% seems fair, but without digging further I would
use it as a low point and suggest that it's possibly higher.

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.
564 Weber St. N. Unit 12
Waterloo, ON N2L 5C6