[kwlug-disc] Linux Marketshare

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Feb 2 13:58:31 EST 2010

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Raul Suarez wrote:

> "Desktop penetration" that is something that should be highlighted
> as some people use these stats to point out that "Linux has only 1%
> of the market" disregarding the market share on servers and embeded
> devices.

  but where's the tipping point?  as in, at what percentage will linux
suddenly be "validated" on the desktop?

  there's an old story that, when IE was just coming into existence
and going after netscape, bill gates predicted that, once IE hit 20%
of the market, it was all over.  people weren't sure what me meant,
they thought 50% was the magic number.

  but gates knew that, at some much lower value, IE would have been
validated as a viable alternative and it was all over.  and he was
right.

  so where's the tipping point for linux on the desktop?  or is there
one?  or will it simply be a long, slow, inexorable grind?

rday